Thursday, September 22, 2005

Dealing with stupid people

So I've wanted to post about this for a while now, but I just haven't had time to do so. I just need to post a little rant about some of the stupid people I've had to deal with recently. Most of this will follow one storyline. I'm going to try to summarize so it's not too long.

I called to setup our internet service through Comcast shortly after arriving home from our honeymoon. I set it up through their website so that I could get in on a special that they had going. After submitting my order, I realized that I hadn't entered our apartment number in the address. They had a number to call for questions and changes, so I gave them a call and explained my mistake. The person I spoke with at Comcast was very nice, got my information updated and asked me if I wanted a technician to come to our location to install the cable modem. I told him no, because I could do it myself and no one is home during the day. He said that was fine and they could either ship the modem to me or I could pick it up at their Lindon, UT office. I told him I would just pick it up, since it's very close to where I work. A couple days later, I decided I would stop off at their office to pick up the modem on my way into work. Since their hours are about the same as mine, I had to come into work late. After waiting in line for several minutes, I was told that they already shipped me a modem and they couldn't give me another one. I was a little upset, but it wasn't that big of a deal. Heather and I took a trip to California for our second reception and when we got back I expected to have a package on our doorstep or in our mailbox. There was no package in either location. The next day I called Comcast to ask when the modem would be arriving. They told me it had already been delivered and gave me the UPS tracking number. I called UPS and they told me the package had an incomplete address and they corrected the address and shipped the package. I asked what address they shipped it to and they told me and address that was nowhere near the one I live at. The only thing it had in common with my address was the city. I told them this wasn't my address and asked what I'm supposed to do. They said that Comcast would have to start an investigation to find the missing package. I called Comcast and explained the situation. They said they would look into it. I told them that I don't really care about the missing package, but I need a cable modem so I can start using my service. They told me I needed to speak with someone at the local office. They tried to transfer me but they did something wrong because I was dropped. Then the person called me back on my cell phone (this was the number I signed up for service with, since we didn't have a landline setup yet) and apologized. They then tried to transfer me again after putting me on hold for about 10 minutes. Keep in mind, I'm still on my cell phone. They finally get someone else on the line and the call is immediately dropped again. I call back again and explain everything one more time. The lady then tells me that there's nothing they can do. She informs me that a technician is scheduled to come out to our location tomorrow to do the installation and they'll bring the cable modem. I don't know where she got this information. I explained that I didn't want to have a technician come out since no one is home during the day. She said there was nothing she could do. So I asked to speak to her supervisor. After explaining everything again, he apologized for the mix up. He said that only the local office could send out a new modem or tell me if I can go pick one up, and the local office was now closed for the day. If the first person I spoke with knew how to transfer a call without dropping it, this could've been resolved by now. So, the supervisor gave me a reference number with all the information I explained to him, so I wouldn't have to repeat it. He told me to call in the morning and they would be able to help me. He also asked if I still wanted to technician to come out tomorrow. I told him no, I never wanted a technician in the first place. He said he would cancel the technicians appointment and apologized again for the confusion. So, the next day before I even have a chance to call them, I get a call on my cell phone. It's someone with the Comcast dispatch. She informs me that they had an appointment for this morning between 9 and 12 and the technician is at my door. I told her I was never supposed to have a technician in the first place. As soon as this call ends, I give Comcast a call at the number I was given. I give them the reference number I received from the supervisor the day before. Sure enough, they can't find that number anywhere. So I explain the situation for the Nth time and explain I'm supposed to speak with someone at the local office. They get a hold of the local office for me and I end up on the phone with some guy named Ryan. Again I explain what's going on and he tells me he's going to have to look into it for me to find out what happened to the missing modem. I tell him that's not my problem. All I care about is getting a new modem. I told him that his options were to tell me that I would be shipped a new modem or tell me that I can go pick one up today or I would give up on Comcast completely and go with another option. He said he could understand that and that he would give me a call back by 3:30 that day with an answer. I told him I would give him until 3:30. 3:30 rolled around and guess what. No phone call. I wait 10 minutes before giving Comcast one more call to speak with Ryan. I explain to the person that I need to speak with Ryan at the local office, he was dealing with my issue and was supposed to call me back. The person checks the local office. Ryan and his entire department have already gone home for the day. I explain everything that happened to the person on the phone and tell him this whole situation is ridiculous. I just want a modem. He says that I can just go to the local office and pick one up. He says he'll put in the notes what the situation is and they should give me a modem. I drive over there as soon as the call ends and sure enough, they give me a modem. So simple math will tell you, that for about every 10 people at Comcast, only 1 of them knows what they're doing.

Stay tuned for Part 2, the UPS side of this story.

7 comments:

Heather said...

OOO...I love part twos!

Maggie said...

You should have just made the Heat set up the Comcast stuff. She's great at that kind of thing. She keeps the paper work too. She's never had any problem getting it set up. It was the taking it down part that was the issue. Maybe the Heat is the opener and Mattie is the closer. I like that. I like that a lot.

shafnitz said...

I don't know. I'm pretty good at both. But when you're dealing with a company full of idiots, it sometimes makes things difficult. I'll just be glad when the 6 month special is over and I can get rid of them forever.

Heather said...

still waiting...

I like you Margs.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you man. Like, there was this guy who would write entire blog posts with no paragraph breaks! Made them really, really hard to read! So much so that I never actually finished it.

Some people!

shafnitz said...

Actually there are 3 paragraphs in this post. But I'd be willing to bet that's not the reason you have trouble reading.

Anonymous said...

So, the problem here as you are stating, the very CORE of the problem is mainly YOURS for not entering the proper data in the Company's web from the start.

How can a moron like you dare to blame Comcast's or UPS's staff for not receiving the modem if the ROOT CAUSE was entering the data improperly, as you said. Stupid is as stupid does. Nobody to blame but yourself.