Thursday, October 13, 2005

Downtown Philly

So, I've decided not to finish my last story. It would just be another rant like the first, so I'm just gonna keep it to myself. I'll tell you about my recent trip. Last Wednesday, I took a trip to Philadelphia for the annual ADA Trade Show. These things are usually held in a convention center and everyone in the industry has a booth to show off their new stuff and to try to sell crap to dentists and others in the industry. Pretty boring stuff. If it had been a car show or a computer expo or something like that, it would've been much more exciting. I was put in a room with someone else from my company that I didn't know. That could've sucked, but he turned out to be a cool guy. I wasn't going to the show as a salesperson, I was only there for technical support. I spent most of my time standing around. You have no idea how long an 8-hour day can be until you've spent one doing practically nothing but standing. I was pretty much in a bad mood the entire time. The show lasted 4 days and I was ready to leave by the morning of the first day. I didn't want to be there in the first place, I was volunteered for it. And I missed Heather. It was hard being away for that long. But, here are some things we did to entertain ourselves while at the show:
  • Glued quarters to the floor. This wasn't as effective as it should be. The floors were carpeted, so if someone tried hard enough, they could usually rip the quarter right off the carpet. It was still entertaining to watch people try and fail.
  • Taped a $1 bill to the tile floor of the booth across from us. Only a few people tried and failed before someone ripped the whole thing off and then put the tape back where it was on the floor.
  • Threw the mini footballs we were giving away all over the place. One guy even tried hitting a sign all the way on the other side of the building until one of the security officers asked him to stop.
  • At the end of the last day we took crap that we were giving away and tried to trade for things that other booths were giving away. We got some Trident gum samples, some pens and some other crap. The coolest was the pen that lights up.
  • Spent a ton of money on food. The company allots you up to $45 a day for food. You can eat pretty well off of $45 a day.
  • At night if I wasn't out getting something to eat, I was back at the hotel watching episodes of Firefly on my laptop. Great show!
So, that's pretty much it. We were staying in downtown Philadelphia. I have two words to describe it. Ghet to. It was crazy. It actually reminded me of Manila, it was so bad. The last day of the show was Sunday and I got back home Sunday night. The Eagles lost to the Cowboys, that was the bad news I got as soon as I got off the plane. But, I was so happy to come home. I missed Heather so much. It's good to be back.

3 comments:

Maggie said...

This post sounded so much like how you talk! Almost as much as, "Twinkle Twinkle baby"

speaking of which my dad bought us Be Cool and I was wondering if it was a sequal? I only wonder because I remember you saying that a TON last year.

shafnitz said...

Yeah, it's a sequel to the movie "Get Shorty." You don't really need to see the first movie to get the sequel, though. It stands alone pretty well.

Maggie said...

Yeah, the sequel was pretty funny. I was wishing I had watched it with you though because that probably would have made the whole thing more funny.