Friday, January 06, 2006

A series of crappy events

So, I've/we've had a lot of crappy things happen to me/us in past few weeks. I thought I'd just list them all out. It's probably the longest string of crappy luck I've ever had.
  • 12/19/05 - I find out that I should've won an $1,100 27" flat-panel TV at my company Christmas party. Instead it was awarded to someone who's not even a full-time employee. They're a temp. (Note: As we were leaving the party, these were my exact words to Heather: "Watch, the only time in my life I'll win something and I won't be here.")
  • 12/20/05 - My truck won't start. We had planned to drive it to Arizona to have Heather's brother-in-law sell it for us. We were supposed to leave the next day! We already had hotel reservations in Las Vegas and plane tickets to fly home from Arizona. Luckily the day we were supposed to leave, Heather's cousin was able to fix it and we were fine.
  • 12/22/05 - As we were leaving Vegas, Heather got the news that her cousin had committed suicide the night before.
  • 12/27/05 - While seeing the Temple lights at the Mesa Temple with Heather's family, my truck was broken into. They ripped the back window completely off and it was laying on the ground. This broke the hinges and the latch that hold the window on. They tried to steal my stereo, but couldn't. They ended up taking my camera case ($25) that had 8 batteries in it ($8) and my drum sticks ($5). So far I've spent $100 just on the parts. We still have to get it fixed. Just for reference, this happened the night before we were flying home to Utah, the last time we'd ever have to see that truck. Luckily Heather's Dad is going to find someone who can fix it. I'm sure it won't be cheap though. Everything needs to be riveted to the body of the truck. (Note: During the day we got my truck all cleaned up and detailed so it would be ready to sell. While we were doing this, I thought to myself: "What if it got broken into after all the trouble we're putting into selling it.")
  • 12/30/05 - I find out that while I was on vacation, my headphones were stolen off my desk at work. They were nice Sony headphones. Someone just took them while I was gone. It's probably even someone I know.
  • 1/1/06 - One of my hard drives appears to be failing. Lots of the files are becoming corrupt. I'm not positive yet that it's failing, but it doesn't look good. It has a lot of my TV shows on it, things that won't be easy to replace. Also it won't be cheap to replace the drive if it is going bad. (Note: While in AZ, we went to Best Buy with Heather's parents to look at car stereos for her brother. While we were there, her Dad was asking me about hard drives. They had a good deal on a large Western Digital drive. I told him that I was pretty confident with WD drives and that I've never had one die on me so far. My drive that appears to be failing right now is a WD.)
So this is a summary of my past few weeks. Things are starting to look up now, but I'm at the point where I'm just waiting for the next bad thing to happen. And if it does, I'm probably just going to lose it.

On a positive note, our Christmas vacation was a lot of fun. Heather's family got me tickets to the Eagles/Cardinals game on Christmas eve. I went to the game with her Dad. It was awesome! Spending Christmas with her family was a blast. Almost everything in between the truck breaking down and being broken into was great.

No comments: